List of Dangerous Dog Treats
Ava, our wee puppy wants to eat everything and with two kids in the house we have to keep up a constant vigil to ensure she does not eat anything to make her sick! So this is not only important to us but to anyone who has a dog.
Rani and Ava
There are some dangerous dog treats that can be fatal to dogs.
Even if you are making your own healthy dog treats, you need to watch out for certain ingredients. Here’s a list of poisonous foods you need to avoid.
Chocolate is one of more well known poisonous human food a dog can eat. Here is a list of other poisonous foods.
- Grapes and Rasins.
- Macadamia nuts.
- Seeds(such as apple seeds).
- Turkey skin.
- Green or sprouting potato skins.
- Apricot – Stone.
- Apple – Seeds.
- Cherry – Seeds.
- Peach Stone.
- Tea and Coffee.
- Wikipedia says that green tomatoes are not good in a dog’s diet because they contain tomatine, which is harmful to them. But red tomatoes are fine.
- It says here that moldy food can also make dangerous dog treats.
- Small balls, toys, and chicken or turkey bones can be choked on by dogs. Cooked bones are also too brittle for a dog to eat safely – it is better to stick to raw bones.
- If your dog eats too much then it will get fat which can be fatal.
If you think you pet has been poisoned by one of the above foods, then you should call a vet – especially if he is vomiting or showing signs of lethargy.
How ill he may get will depend upon how big he is, and how much of the food he has eaten. My pet has had small amounts of onion and garlic and it hasn’t caused any problems. He once also stole an after-eight! Again – this was just a small amount of chocolate so he was fine. But it does pay to keep an eye out – and keep the wrong type of dangerous ingredients out of reach.
As well as these dangerous foodstuffs, there are other ingredients that may not be very healthy for your pet. Dog food allergies can be caused by things like wheat or diary products. And just like humans – too much sugar will make your pet fat.
It is easy to keep your pet safe and healthy once you know what to avoid. Safe and nutritious treats, served up with love, will always be appreciated!